Tona Brown: Why she kicks ass
- She is the first African-American Transgender violinist and vocalist to sing for a seated President of the United States of America, she did so in June 2011, when she was invited to perform the National Anthem for President Barack Obama in New York City during the opening ceremony of the LGBT Leadership Conference and Gala Fundraiser.
- As a professional musician and vocalist, her career spans across North America and Europe.
- Ms. Brown formerly was on the National Advisory Board of OUTMUSIC – The LGBT Academy of Recording Arts (The LARA). She programed and conducted the very first classical performance for the 7th Annual OUTMUSIC Awards with her 11 piece AIDA String Ensemble playing Vivaldi’s ‘Summer’, this acknowledged with a roaring 5 minute standing ovation.
- She also has been featured in numerous newspaper, magazine and television programs for her work with the youth in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and for her recitals, such as articles in the Advocate magazine and The Virginian Pilot.
- She was selected to do a national tour with the “Tranny Road Show” a multi-media, tour group of Transgender artists that toured from Florida to Canada in April 2006.
- Ms Brown was also a featured soloist and speaker for the 2nd Annual LGBT Pride Month Commemoration Ceremony for the Department of Veteran Affairs singing the National Anthem. She was also a guest on the “Anthony McCarthy Radio Show” speaking about her volunteer work with Hearts and Ears Inc.
Okay normally I would shun strings on this blog but holy shit this woman